- In 1969, the need for an arts centre in Calgary was first documented.
- Following the study, it was determined that the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra, Theatre Calgary and Alberta Theatre Projects were in serious need of a proper performance space in anticipation of their growth, as well as the increasing needs of the community.
- In 1976, The Calgary Centre for Performing Arts (CCPA) was officially registered as a charitable organization.
- Three women were instrumental in establishing and raising funds for the backbone of the facility: Dr. Martha Cohen, Sandra LeBlanc and Vera Swanson.
- The Centre was planned in the boom years, but built in the last recession .
- In 1983,CCPA moves into its first official offices, in former City buildings located on 7th Avenue at Olympic Plaza. These buildings have since been torn down.
- In July 1985, CCPA offices moved into the existing building. For the first two months, staff wore construction helmets, as the building was still a construction site.
- The CCPA was officially opened with a televised gala celebration on September 14, 1985. The entire building was wrapped in red ribbon, which was cut by Dr. Martha Cohen, Vera Swanson and Sandra LeBlanc.
- In 2001, the Centre’s name changed when EPCOR Utilities Inc. entered into a ten-year naming agreement with EPCOR CENTRE for the Performing Arts that provides multi-faceted support through marketing expertise, technical knowledge in energy management, cash contributions to an endowment fund, and a service relationship for the provision of energy and natural gas. Through this agreement, EPCOR - an Alberta-based utility supplier - supports EPCOR CENTRE's vision to foster a culture of creativity in Calgary.
Federal: $2.5 million
Provincial $48.7 million
City site value $12.3 million
City of Calgary $12.7 million (grant)
Private Sector $11.3 million
Interest $14.9 million
Total cost $102.4 million
- The site is anchored by two heritage buildings:
- Burns Building, circa 1917
- Public Building, circa 1931
- The architect was local firm Raines, Finlayson, Barrett, who also built the Calgary International Airport and Mount Royal College.
- The architect’s challenge was to construct the Calgary Centre for Performing Arts while maintaining the heritage buildings on the site.
- Theatre designers were Theatre Project Consultants of London, England, and the original acoustical design was provided by Artec Consultants of New York.